This simple and easy camping recipe is one of our family’s go-to meals for busy lunches or dinners at the campground. Baked potatoes are often a side dish served with steak dinners, but prepared correctly, potatoes can easily be a cheap and filling meal for the whole family. Check out this camping recipe for campfire baked potatoes adapted and modified from a recipe on FoodNetwork.com.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped chives, dill and parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Allow your campfire to burn down to hot coals and lower the grill grate.
- Rinse all produce. Prick the potatoes with a knife or fork on all sides and coat evenly in olive oil. Salt and pepper the potato skin and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Place the potatoes on the grill grate and cook over medium heat for 45 min. to 1 hour, rotating frequently. The potatoes will be easy to pierce with a knife when they are cooked through.
- Wrap the four cloves of garlic in a bit of aluminum foil and set on the grill to roast. Rotate frequently until the cloves are soft. Remove from the heat and smash thoroughly until smooth.
- While the potatoes cook, prepare the toppings in a small bowl. Thinly chop the green onion, herbs, and cut the lemon into quarters.
- Combine the sour cream, mashed garlic, green onion, herbs, and a squeeze of lemon.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the heat and slice longways in half, be sure not to slice through them completely.
- Top with a slice of butter, salt and pepper, and a dollop of the herbed sour cream.
Your whole family will love this easy campfire meal! Find an RV for your family vacations at Campbell RV today! Contact us for more information.